Didi – relaunch Hitch carpooling service this month
- in seven major Chinese cities (Beijing, Harbin, Taiyuan, Shijiazhuang, Changzhou, Shenyang, and Nantong)
- with additional safety features (after murder)
- Only allow trips under 50km
- Only in metro areas between 5am and 8pm for female users (Male until 11pm)
11/05 2019 – The Verge
Uber – thinks it’s a ‘good thing’ for cities, but cities are having second thoughts
- Researchers from New York University’s Rudin Center for Transportation Policy and Management profiled 13 major markets
- All cities are either regulating or planning to regulate these companies
- Most cities require ride-hailing companies to submit trip data
- Adding taxes to trip
- New York City – a $2.75 per-trip fee in the city’s congestion zone
- Mexico City – 1.5 percent per-trip tax on ride-hail trips (emission tax)
10/30 2019 – Washington PostWashington Post
Lyft – taking the human judgment out of critical safety decisions – banning drivers
Lyft – replaces pricey All-Access monthly plan with Lyft Pink
- Lyft unveiled $299/mo plan last year
- Lyft Pink costs $19.99/mo
- 15% off on all car rides
- 3 free bike or scooter rides / mo
- More flexible cancellation policy
- No lost&found fees
10/28 2019 – The Verge
Uber Eats – new look for its food delivery drones
10/28 2019 – UBER
Uber – introducing Uber Money
- Real-Time Earnings
- Istant Pay (drivers and couriers will have real-time access to their earnings after every trip through the Uber Debit account).
- Uber Debit Account and Card
- No-monthly-fee Uber Debit Account
- 3-6% cash back depending on tiers
- Uber Wallet
- Easily track their earning and spending history
- Manage and move their money
- Discover new Uber financial products
- Uber Credit Card
- Cardmembers will now receive 5% back in Uber Cash
10/22 2019 – Inc42
Uber – launches Delhi Metro service
- Deployed pick-up points and kiosks at 210 Delhi metro stations
- Metro passengers can use the Uber app to get passes for the train journey
10/21 2o19 – Jalopni
Lyft – Drivers Can No Longer See How Much Riders Paid For Each Trip
10/21 2o19 – Quartz
Uber – faces three big problems in London
- Only a two-month license extension from Transport for London, the local taxi regulator.
- The employment status of its UK drivers remains unresolved.
- Uber could end up receiving a very nasty tax bill
10/20 2019 – The Verge
Uber – nearly two-thirds of customers don’t tip their drivers
- According to a new study from the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER).
- Only 1% always tip
- Nearly 60% never do
- $0.50 / ride average for all riders
- $3 / ride average for regular tipper
- Male riders tip 23% more than female riders
10/20 2019 – PYMNTS
Uber Eats – rolls out pickup feature nationwide
- tested in San Diego, Phoenix, Dallas and Austin, Texas
Uber – launches moped sharing service in Paris
- Partnership with Cityscoot e-mopeds
- Mopeds (What yellow cabs are to New York City in Paris)
- You’ll look on the map to see where one of the 4,000 Cityscoots is located
10/17 2019 – Today
Lyft – offering driverless rides in Las Vegas
- The popular ride-sharing app Lyft
- Boston-based tech company Aptiv offers driverless car.
10/17 2019 – Dailymail
Lyft – lets you choose from popular destinations of other riders nearby
- For a Friday night out.
- list of popular drop-off spots of other riders
- Currently only available to Lyft members in Los Angeles and San Francisco, California
Uber – integrates electric moped service Cityscoot in Paris
- Dockless scooters
- UBER is planning to expand its service to
the publictransportation in Paris
10/16 2019 – Quartz
Lyft – gives free transportation to job hunters and new hires who need it most
- Working with services organizations such as Goodwill and United Way
- a 2015 study at Harvard found that commute length is one of the strongest factors in moving Americans out of poverty, with shorter commute times equating to more economic mobility
- 44% of Lyft rides start or end in low-income areas.
10/16 2019 – Bloomberg
Bird – Ignores Uber Lesson in Luxembourg Night Raid
- Uber Technologies Inc. and Bolt Technology OU learned the hard way that turning up unannounced doesn’t work in Europe.
- The mayor received an email from Bird saying it would roll out its service overnight
- The next morning, dozens of electric scooters lined the pavements.
- Over a week later, on Thursday, Bird was forced to pause its service.
- More than 2,000 people had already downloaded the app and taken a ride in the city.
10/12 2019 – cnet
Uber – into grocery deliveries with Cornershop acquisition
- UBER acquired the majority ownership in the grocery delivery startup Cornershop.
- Cornershop operates now in Chile, Mexico, Peru and Toronto, Canada.
10/11 2019 – Reuters
Uber – UK tax challenge
- Uber says it could be charged 20% VAT on gross booking fees – the amount passengers
pay — oron service fees charged to drivers, typically about 20-30 percent of the fare.
UBER – now alerts drivers that pets will be joining the ride
10/03 – 2019
Lyft – launches a driver rewards program
- Drivers earn points for every eligible dollar earned while they drive during their respective city’s busiest hours.
- 90%+ acceptance rate with 4.9+ rating (Platinum or Gold) access to exclusive features.
- Ability to see the estimated length of trip time + direction before they accept the trip
- Platinum status
- can claim a monthly AT&T phone plan credit
- a Lyft direct debit card with 5% cash back on all gas prices
- free 24/7 roadside assistance from AllState
- free Turbo Tax for self-employed workers.
10/03 2019 – Reuters
Uber – launches an app aimed at connecting workers with businesses
09/30 2019 – Engaget
Uber – lets riders record audio via its app if they feel unsafe (feature test)
- There is a “small surcharge”
- Uber Pet does not replace UBER’s service animal policy
09/28 2019 – Business Insider
Uber – rolling out a new safety feature to make sure riders get in the correct car after the shocking murder of a college student
- Uber is launching a verification system to ensure riders find the right driver.
- The move comes after the grisly murder of a college student in May who got in a vehicle she assumed was her Uber.
- The company is also working on an automatic, ultrasound system to verify matches between drivers and riders.
UBER – riders can text 911 in-app
- The message includes
the accurateinformation about the car and location.
09/26 2019 – the Verge
UBER– overhauls its app in
ambitious bid to become ‘the operating system for your everyday life’
- THE HOME SCREEN
- Virtual restaurant – Only available in uber eats
- Earnings estimator
- Demand heat map
- Back to busy area filter
09/24 – 2019
Lyft – revamps app to focus on multimodal transportation
- Access bikes, scooters, transit and car rentals within the app.
- Uber, did something similar more than one year ago.
UBER – temporary two-month license reprieve in London
- Current (provisional) licence expires tomorrow but there’s no return to normality
UBER – may charge more when your battery is low
09/17 2019 – The CityLab
Why Do City Dwellers Love to Hate Scooters?
- Portland, Oregon – 34% of e-scooter rides replaced an automobile trip, offering evidence that e-scooters could mitigate congestion.
- they could invest in building more protected lanes that both separate e-scooter riders (and bikers)
UBER – stops service at LA’s Ontario
airportafter fee increase
Ola – makes
serious bet on two-wheeler
- Ola Bike costs as little as Rs 5 (7 cents) per km
- Uber Moto (competitor) is available in 10 cities in India
UBER – Why Uber And Amazon Are Going After Truckers
- Uber Freight started 2017
- The global ride-hailing market is $36 billion (2017). The US trucking industry market is $796 billion (2018)
- US 48 states + Germany + Netherland
- Uber freight is cutting the middleman
- Trailers are loaded and track can just dispatch immediately.
Royalityprogram UBER Freight +
- Discounts on fuel
- Discounts on maintenance…
- Discounts on insurance
09/11 2019 – CNBC
NYU professor on gig economy: Not all Uber, Lyft drivers will welcome California’s regulations
- Subsets of workers won’t welcome the regulation- those who want to keep them as a part time job
- Price will be likely to increase.
09/09 2019 – Seattle Times
Seattle Uber and Lyft drivers often stop in the street to pick up or drop off riders. Here’s a way to reduce that.
- Drop-offs were 42 seconds faster than the previous average
- Stopping in traffic lanes to pick up passengers fell from 20% to 14% of trips recorded by the study
- Stops in traffic lanes during drop-offs barely budged, from 16% to 15% of trip.
Exclusive: Qatar blocks Uber’s acquisition of Careem in the country
- $3.1 billion deal
- Careem’s business in Qatar represents only 1.8 percent of its overall business (according to Uber’s SEC filing)
Uber – has surveyed some drivers on small loans, suggesting financial products are coming
- How much are you thinking about a loan
- $100 or less
- $100 to $250
- $250 to $500
- $500 or more
- How much are you thinking about a loan
- UBER hires over 100 financial product engineers
Didi – launch self-driving rides in Shanghai and expand them beyond China by 2021
- Like UBER, a person will sit on the driver seat in the beginning
- Starting the pilot test in Shanghai, and planning to expand to Beijing and Shenzhen
UBER – 50% off when you pay with Venmo
DoorDash – reveals details of its new tipping model
- PAST: DoorDash pays a $1 base, then providing an additional payment boost when a customer’s tip wasn’t enough to meet the minimum
- NEW: DoorDash will pay a base between $2 and $10 (the amount will depend on things like delivery distance and duration), with additional bonuses from DoorDash.
08/21 2019 – CNBC
Bolt – launches food delivery service in Europe
- Estonian start-up
- Bolt, formerly known as Taxify
- Uber Eats and Amazon-backed Deliveroo are aggressively expanding across the region
- The Estonian start-up said it would expand the service to Latvia, Lithuania, and South Africa later this year before launching in more markets in Europe and Africa in 2020.
08/09 2019 – Quartz
Lyft – finally sees a path to profitability: raising prices
- But Roberts said the worst is over. In the second quarter, Lyft reported $867 million in revenue, up 72% from the same period last year.
- Lyft is raising fares for riders
08/07 2019 – Bloomberg
【Glovo】Early-Stage Talks With Uber, Deliveroo
- Barcelona-based delivery company
- An app for anything, and lets users request a range of products.
08/06 2019 – MIT Technology Review
Scooters aren’t so climate-friendly after all
08/05 2019 – The City Lab
How Much Traffic Do Uber and Lyft Cause?
- The new findings show that Uber and Lyft account for just 1-3% of total VMT in the larger metropolitan regions surrounding the six cities.
- They have a far heavier traffic impact in core urban areas
- SF- 13.4%
- D.C.-7.2% … of all vehicles are for rideshare.
- 54 – 62 % of the vehicle miles traveled by Lyfts and Ubers were with a rider in tow.
- 75 % of Americans still drive alone to work.
- Uber and Lyft account for just 1-3 percent of total VMT in the larger metropolitan regions surrounding the six cities. But they have a far heavier traffic impact in core urban areas
- SF – 13.4%
- Boston – 8%
- Washington, D.C. – 7.2%
- NYC is exception because of its uniquely low car ownership
The ride-hailing companies are positioning their analysis as a way to promote congestion pricing, a policy where drivers pay fees to access high-volume city streets.
08/01 2019 – The Verge
Bird – New electric scooter has a better battery and anti-vandalism sensors
- Bird Two’s battery will have over 50 percent more capacity than Bird One’s
- It includes smart, “autonomous” sensors that will signal Bird’s headquarters when the scooter breaks down.
- “Self-reporting damage sensors” will help Bird’s mechanics get damaged or vandalized scooters off the streets and into repair shops more seamlessly.
Lyft – pulls e-bikes after battery fires
UBER – lays off 400 as cost-cutting efforts ramp
Ford-owned Spin is bringing a tougher electric scooter to dozens of cities
- 10-inch tires – better absorb shock from potholes and other rough road conditions.
- Battery with 37.5 miles of range
- Exclusive operator in 11 markets
- Berkeley, Calif.
- Denver, Kansas City
- Los Angeles
- Washington, D.C. Other U.S. cities
- Ford owned
07/24 2019 – The Verge
UBER – tests all-in-one subscription for rides, food delivery, bikes, and scooters
- $24.99 a month
- Get price protection or a fixed discount on every ride-hail trip
- Free delivery on Uber Eats
- Free rides on Uber’s Jump bikes and scooters.
- Testing in Chicago, San Francisco
Lyft – opens to the public autonomous driving data set from
Level 5 self-driving fleet its
- A set of autonomous driving data that it calls the “largest public data set of its kind,” containing over 55,000 3D frames of captured footage hand-labeled by human reviewers, data collected by seven cameras and as many as three lidars depending on the car used, plus a drivable surface map and HD spatial semantic data that corresponds to the captured info to provide context to researchers.
Lyft Over Uber — Here’s Why
- Better customer service
- Better point partnerships
Lyft – expands its PIN feature for airport pickups to LaGuardia
- directing riders to a designated pickup spot where they’ll show the driver a PIN code.
- Lyft users can hop in the first available car as opposed to waiting for a particular driver to arrive.
- With wait times pushing 24-28 minutes, both services saw increased cancellations
Uber – riders now earn rewards for shopping during their trip with new Cargo app
- Uber has announced a new partnership with Cargo for an in-car shopping experience.
- By downloading the app and scanning a QR code during your ride, you’ll unlock deals on everything from AirPods to luxury suitcases and more
07/17 2019 – Business Insider
New York City has the green light to ban one of Uber and Lyft drivers’ biggest side hustles, Advertisement
07/15 2019 – Fast Company
UBER – How Uber quietly redesigned its interface for the rest of the world
- Map interface works in city with internet and GPS that work well. Not in some other places
- Uber Lite (pilot launch in 2018)
- Most Androids are not made to run the app so smoothly in some of countries.
- 4G is so oversubscribed it feels like a 2G connection.
- the biggest decision was to ditch Uber’s map interface entirely.
- User Survey
- Search box was not helpful, because users are used to seeing the landmarks
- User flow
- Not replying on GPS, but ask where you are
- Big slash / blue to explain comfort and safety
- No one missed the map
- People asked for more affordable option -> Vertical listing was more helpful to see from least expensive to expensive
- Uber Bus runs on top of Uber Lite app
- ONLY take up 5mb -> 1/20
- “In another app that would be nothing,” Andhare says.
- “But in our world it was a lot of currency. We pushed back and negotiated with the brand team and the result was that we basically adopted the native font that was available within Android.”
Uber – Uber Elevate at TC Sessions: Mobility
Movement demand -> Depends on what point A and B people
People’s preferencesPrice preferences
It will be a premium product first
Key Metrics to open up for generic consumers
- Utilization – The utilization of a private vehicle is getting higher (More cars used)
- Loadfactor – With pool loadfactor per private vehicle also became higher (More people are in cars)
Uber – Uber Comfort offers quiet rides with extra charge
Comfort Quiet Ride button that lets you ask your driver for silence if you’ll pay a 20% to 40% premium atop the UberX price.
Ola – gets a taxi license in London and plans to launch services in September
Ola – Ola Electronics new $250 million investment from SoftBank
Uber Eats – Dine-In option
- The customer can order their meal from the menu and then chose to either deliver themselves to the restaurant ASAP
- Tips can be added either in-app or at the table itself.
06/03 2019 – WIRED
What A Bay Area Dispute Says About The Future Of Bike Share
Motivate -> Docked Bikes
- New York (CitiBike)
- Washington (Capital Bikeshare)
- Chicago (Divvy Bikes)
- Bay Area (GoBikes)
Jump Trial Period (18-month) in SF500 Jump bikes operate in the city63,000 riders took more than 625,000 trips in the first year of San Francisco service
05/29 2019 – Gizmodo
UBER – Start Booting Shitty Passengers From Its App
05/28 2019 – Fast Company
Yes, Uber and Lyft make traffic worse
- The time people spend stuck in traffic compared to traveling on free-flowing roads, increased 62% in the city from 2010 to 2016.
- The model doesn’t fully account for the growth in delivery vehicles from companies like Amazon, something that Uber and Lyft were quick to point out when the SFCTA first issued a report based on the study last fall. Still, the study has now been validated through the peer review process, and Erhardt points out that it’s possible that delivery vehicles have also reduced some other local trips to the store.
05/26 2019 – The Verge
UBER – Ride Pass subscription service is coming to 16 new cities
- $24.99 a month ($14.99 for some earlier cities)
- riders can lock in flat rates on all the UberX, UberPool (saving riders up to 15 percent on their overall monthly travel)
- Uber’s Jump e-bikes and scooters can lock in flat rates on those trips
- For a limited time, riders will also get 30 minutes of free bike and scooter riding a day
Ola – now in the credit card business, too
- Partnered with state-run SBI and Visa
issueas many as 10 million credit cards
- 7% on cab spends
- 5% on flight bookings
- 20% on domestic hotel bookings (6% on international hotel bookings)
- 20% on more than 6,000 restaurants
- 1% on all other spends.
- Why credit cards? Ola to go beyond ride-hailing and food delivery
05/05 2019 – Business Insider
Uber and Lyft drivers are planning a massive strike this week over work conditions and pay rates
- Uber recently cut the per-mile rate of drivers to $0.60 from $0.80.
- Uber’s rideshare take rate increased from 20.5% in 2017 to 21.7% in 2018
Safr, Shebah – Safety Over Scale: Meet The Ride-Hailing Startups Taking On Uber And Lyft
- Safr, wants drivers and riders that identify as female to feel safer when entering a car.
- Safr interviews every driver that joins the platform.
- Users can express gender preference when calling a ride.
- Shebah wants to bring an “all women rideshare” experience to Australia.
Mobike – cutting its international department after a period of aggressive growth
- Laying off the team covering APAC region
- Mobike was operating the service in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, India, and Australia
Didi – reportedly lost a staggering $1.6 billion in 2018
- Uber posted a net loss of $939 million on a pro forma basis
- EBITA loss at $527 million during Q3 2018.
- Public backlash
- Cash-burning model
- Regulatory hurdles
- New rivals
Didi – reveals it is still making losses on many fares charged in China as it discloses costs breakdown
- Lyft of fares – 19% net revenue in 2018 (21% goal)
- 10% of fares – cover technology research, offline maintenance and customer service.
- 7% of fares – given to drivers during rush hour
- 4% of fares – taxes and online payment transaction fees
- Uber of fares- 22%
- Lyft of fares – 26.8% net revenue in 2018
02/14 2019 – adgang
Uber – collaborates with the meditating app Calm
- Uber in
UKcollaborates with Calm and riders can follow audio guidance to experience meditation during the ride.
01/08 2019 – WIRED
The main idea of HERE’s SoMo is to give all the transportation businesses that have been pummeled by Uber and Lyft a common platform.
Didi – the new regulation in China to eliminate part time drivers
- Most drivers in urban areas suffer from hefty loans
- 90% of ride-share drivers are part-timers
- About half of Didi drivers only work for 2 hours or less
- Requires ride-hailing driver’s permit
- Drivers must provide a no-criminal-record certificate
- Drivers must own the local residency permits （hukou）
- Vehicles must be commercial（higher
naintainanceand insurance costs、they have to be scrapped in 8 years）
12/20 2018 – Forbes
Ofo – How It Went From Tech Darling To Near Bankruptcy
- Ofo has gone from school project to billion-dollar startup
- The verge of bankruptcy in less than four years.
- Price competition brought them to the cashflow issue
- Users are asking for refunds of deposits!!! – Users had initially been asked to pay a 99 yuan ($14.3) deposit before unlocking Ofo bikes, and then the amount was later raised to 199 yuan ($29). They can request a refund through the Ofo app, but it stipulates a waiting period of 15 days.
Mobike – Meituan, China’s ‘everything app,’ walks away from bike sharing and ride hailing
- Mobike is downsizing its fleets to “avoid an oversupply”
- Meituan said it has no plans to expand car-hailing beyond its two piloting cities
11/14 2018 – WIRED
The service is now available in Miami, New York, New Jersey, Denver, Tampa, Philadelphia, Atlanta, San Diego, and Washington, DC.
- Blue: entry level. For every 500 points, get $5 to spend on any Uber service.
- Gold: 500 points and up. Cancel a ride for no fee, if you rebook within 15 minutes; faster response times when you call customer service.
- Platinum: 2,500 points and up. Price protection that locks in a maximum cost for rides between two place (like home and work), which you can change once per month; priority pickups at most airports.
- Diamond: 7,500 points and up. Dedicated phone support with promised fast response times; access to highly-rated drivers; occasional free upgrades to Black cars; three free Eats deliveries per six-month period. (Most Diamond users will be those who use Uber Black for work, Ormseth says.)
“Like we saw in
Uber – Reserve a ride with a toy car
Grab – $1B from Toyota at a $10B valuation
- Grab is planning to integrate Toyota Mobility Service Platform (MSPF)
- Insurance service
- Financial packages
- Estimating for maintenance timings
Grab – launches a food delivery service in Southeast Asia
- Food delivery service
- Beta testing took place in Thailand and few other countries
- Started in Singapore where the HQ is located
- Merchants and users from UBER Eats will be adopted
- Ubiquitous Grab Rewards to cover the point system for the delivery service.
UBER sells Southeast Asia business and will get 27.5% of Grab
- UBER acquired 27.5% of Grab’s stake (valued at $6 billion)
- UBER invested about $700 million for their Southeast Asia expansion
UBER JUMP – Uber acquires JUMP
- Source says final price close to $200 million
- In January, Uber partnered with JUMP to launch Uber Bike, which lets Uber riders book JUMP bikes via the Uber app.
- In January, JUMP closed a $10 million Series A round
04/04 2018 – Reuters
Mobike – Acquired by China’s Meituan Dianping for $2.7 billion
03/13 2018 – WIRED
The main idea of HERE’s SoMo is to give all the transportation businesses that have been pummeled by Uber and Lyft a common platform.
Uber JUMP – Experience review by WSJ reporter
02/08 2018 – MarketWatch
Didi – develop tech for Japan’s taxis with SoftBank
- Trial services in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Fukuoka within the year.
- Didi already working with Daiichi Taxi Co.
Ola – The first overseas move, expanding to Australia
- Australia is dominated by Uber
- Europe’s Taxify also started the service in Australia
Grab – investing $100M to shut Uber out of fast-growing Myanmar
- $100M investments over 3 years
- Starting with the ride service at the capital Yangon
- Expanding GrabPay
- Service launches on March
- Grab leads the market
- 25,000 rides / day
- 6,000 drivers
Grab – $2B from Didi and SoftBank to fuel bid to defeat Uber in Southeast Asia
- Grab aims to lead market over UBER
UBER, Yandex – combine ridesharing and UberEATS in Russian markets in a $3.72B JV
- The combined companies currently perform over 35 million rides a month while growing over 400% year-over-year.
- Both companies are injecting cash
- Uber – $225 million -> 36.6% share
- Yandex – $100 million -> 59.3% share
Lyft – 1 million rides / day
Ofo – China’s on-demand bicycles have now become advertising space